Skip to main content

AROUND THE WORLD IN 23 YEARS~THAILAND & SILK



                                     


INSPIRED & INSPIRING
The company was founded by Jim Thompson in 1951 while undertaking the task to revive the Thai silk industry. The “King of Silk” was a man of multiple dimensions: a visionary entrepreneur, a great marketer, an art collector, an aesthete, a man of action and conviction. Above all, he was driven by a great love for Thai people and their rich culture.

The Thai Silk Company continues to be inspired by its founder’s values. The Jim Thompson brand presents fabrics, personal goods, and fine Thai cuisine to the world’s most demanding customers, particularly those in search of authenticity, originality, and refinement, who share our aesthetics sensibility, and who are fascinated by the mysteries of the brand and of the region.

It was 7:15am, I was exhausted after a 16 hours flight and time change. As I approached customs at JFK International, I couldn't imagine what was about to happen.

US Citizens and their baggage are usually waved through with a smile and a "welcome home" from the customs inspector, but this morning I was stopped with a "please open your bags". 

After examining 2 duffels with more laundry than contraband the inspector asked me to open my briefcase, sitting inconspicuously on the floor near my feet.

I had completed the form stating I had not been on a farm thinking that silk yarn production was more process than farming.

As I clicked the latches on my briefcase, in those days we carried hardcover leather cases with locks,  not the ubiquitous nylon backpacks of today.

As I opened the cover, three white moths flew out and attacked the inspector's head. He waved his arms defensively, and muttered something that sounded like "wherein the hell did these come from?"

When on that farm, I had taken a few silkworms thinking I'd dry them out, and put them in a zip-lock bag to include with my contact report.

I'd forgotten they were in there until that morning in customs, silkworms turn into moths after their gestation period. 

I claimed total surprise and told the inspector I had no idea where those pesky moths had come from. He didn't know a thing about silk production and accepted my explanation with a shrug and while noting I was lucky those moths weren't feeding on my wool sweaters. 

Thai Silk is exquisite, generally considered the finest in Asia, the Chinese notwithstanding. 

The Jim Thompson stores in Bangkok sell the best silk fabrics in the region, they have a long and mysterious history going back to their founder, James Thompson, an American Army Captain who after the war remained in Thailand as an American spy living undercover as a silk merchant. At the height of his career, he mysteriously disappeared during a trip to Malaysia. The stories are endless but, probably, local insurgents had been tipped off that he was an American spy and assassinated him; his body was never found.

Jim Thompson is a legend in Thailand, his silk products, restaurants, and stores are a testament to his dedication to luxury and quality.

I was in Thailand for 3 months organizing the raw silk fiber producers into cooperatives, i.e. trade associations, to leverage the collective strength of small farmers when they managed as a single business unit, like marketing coops in the US. They improve market prices for their yarn and reduce the cost of inputs through collective purchasing.

I quickly learned that Jim Thompson had created a value chain from farm to retail with specific requirements for each link in the chain. His suppliers, the ones who signed an LOU ( letter of understanding), agreed to meet certain quality standards in return for a guaranteed price known in advance with a ratchet clause allowing the producers to share in market increases but not decreases. The standards were high, but the rewards were worth the extra effort. Thompson provided consultants to help his suppliers meet the standards. 

This was one of the first supply chain "brands" in textiles, as a result, Thompson built a reputation for unmatched quality.

I never met Jim Thompson, but his story inspired me, he was a visionary. He embraced the world where he found himself and made it his own.

Being exposed to stories like Jim Thompson is just one of my life-changing experiences as I traveled around the world in 23 years.

Next stop Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RIPTIDE

 "It can sweep the strongest swimmer out to sea" Twenty four hours and the countdown begins to better times: Better health Better economy Better culture More civility More truth More empathy The tide has turned and the detritus of four years is caught in a blue rip that can't be stopped. This election started over a year ago, day after day of accusations, exaggerations, and conspiracy theories.  The electorate is just plain exhausted and needs a coffee break, if not a martini break, shaken not stirred. Winter COVID is here, lurking in places it hadn't gone before, making us sick, hospitalizing us, killing us in numbers we hadn't thought possible. The first order of business during the first hundred days is to get COVID under control so that we can return to work without fear of contamination and resume some degree of normalcy in our daily life. Your health and the health of your fellow Americans is the fundamental requirement of a strong economy and a normal life....

IT MUST BE SUNDAY

" Life is like a river, if you cannot let go of the past, it will drag you down the stream.” ―Amit Ray I've Been Thinking... A few months ago, I was talking to a friend of mine about life when he said to me: “Maria, if you want something new, you are going to have to first get rid of the old. It’s the only way to make room.” Damn, I thought. Ain’t that the truth? One of my big New Year’s resolutions for 2020 was to clear out the old in every area of my life. I had made a promise to myself that this would be the year I would take a hard look at how I was living my life: my beliefs, my attachments, and all my stuff. I started sorting through things from my office, things from my time as First Lady of California, things from my parents, things from my kids (do yourself a favor and do not save all of your kids’ school things like I did), and so many other things that had found their way into storage when life got the best of me. In fact, I was already in the thick of shredding, di...

TRUMP-OUR OWN WILLY LOMAN

  "Death of a Salesman is not set during the Depression but it bears its mark, as does Willy Loman, a sixty-three-year-old salesman, who stands baffled by his failure. Certainly in memory, he returns to that period, as if personal and national fate were somehow intertwined, while in spirit, according to Miller, he also reaches back to the more expansive and confident, if empty, 1920s, when, according to a president of the United States, the business of America was business. And since he inhabits ‘‘the greatest country in the world,’’ a world of Manifest Destiny, where can the fault lie but in himself? If personal meaning, in this cheerleader society, lies in success, then failure must threaten identity itself. No wonder Willy shouts out his name. He is listening for an echo. No wonder he searches desperately back through his life for evidence of the moment he took a wrong path; no wonder he looks to the next generation to give him back that life by achieving what had slipped so un...