Skip to main content

AROUND THE WORLD IN 23 YEARS-Yangon, Myanmar, aka Burma.





Why do we feel sorry for people who can't travel? Because, unable to expand externally, they are not able to expand internally either, they can't multiply and so they are deprived of the possibility of undertaking expansive excursions in themselves and discovering who and what else they could have become." Pascal Mercier

I set off on this journey 23 years ago because I was searching for something, I had no earthly idea what it was, all I knew was that my life had become mundane, prescribed, and slavishly committed to peer pressure. 

Pascal Mercier's iconic novel, Night Train to Lisbon, changed all that.  His protagonist, Raimund Gregorius, epitomized a life prescribed, one lived within the guardrails of suffocating academic peer pressure.

A single event propelled Gregorius from his mundane and predictable existence into one that challenged his common sense.

I suppose, on some level,  I'm a Gregorious clone, a man living according to the expectations of others at the expense of my own.

Then, one day, everything changed. It was a Monday, my morning routine was identical to every other morning until I found myself standing on the Metro-North commuter platform waiting for the 7:05.

 Like the other 30 guys bunched there, I wore a dark grey suit, white shirt, rep tie, and tasseled loafers, black. The WSJ and NYT were neatly folded under my right arm with a briefcase dangling from my left. As I looked down the row of clones, it occurred to me that we all looked the same, no one daring to step out of the box and follow a call to the wild side. We worked in NY, we left wives and children in suburbia and headed for another mind-numbing day in Gotham. 

The train was late, as usual, my mind was in overdrive. Then and there I had my Gregorious moment, I pivoted off my usual spot, threw the Times and the Journal in the trash basket, and headed back to my BMW, parked with dozens of other German makes belonging to guys just like me. As I drove out of that lot for the last time, I felt lightheaded and alive for the first time in my life.

Three months later:

I was landing at Yangon International, the next stop on my improbable journey. The weather was steamy, the crowds were suffocating and there was Mohinga, the fish-based street food, favored by the locals permeating the air.

I was booked at The Strand, the iconic hotel founded by the British during the Burmese era. This was shortly after independence, British influence still very much alive life in Yangon.

The staff at The Strand was British trained, formal, and correct in every way. Their uniforms were British tailoring, perfectly fitted if not worn on the edges. The check-in was prompt and efficient, the trip to my 3rd-floor room was guided by a porter who managed three bags plus a briefcase with ease and refused a gratuity. The door lock opened with an old fashioned skeleton key attached to a large mahogany block, you would not fail to leave it at the front desk upon leaving the hotel.

I arrived for dinner at 9:pm, the dining room was elegant, enormous Persian rug, well worn, on a parquet floor. The tables were covered with linen, draped to the floor. Each table had formal settings, full glass-wear, cutlery, and napery. The room was lit by candelabra, with no electric lights.  The effect was stunning.

Your attention turned to the bandstand, there was a 35 piece orchestra playing softly at the direction of a leader with shoulder-length grey hair. They were dressed in white-tie and tails, like the staff, their clothes were patched and worn. These people may have been abandoned by the British but their demeanor and training were not, they were dressed for an evening at The Strand, after all,  you could feel their pride. 

There was something wrong with this picture, every detail was perfect for a formal dining experience except one, there was no one in the room except waiters, they were standing at attention protecting their stations. The Maitre d' approached, his manner was gracious as he informed me they had a dress code, jackets, and ties were required after 7:pm.  I was dressed in grey slacks, a black cashmere sweater, and a white dress shirt, no jacket, and no tie. 

In spite of there being no other diners in the room, the proper dress was required, I was impressed, apologized to the Maitre D' and returned to my room to meet the standard.

Returning to the dining room, it was still empty. The orchestra was still playing, the waiters were still at their place. The dining room at The Strand Hotel in Myanmar, formally British Burma, was open for business.

That evening back in my room I spent an hour with my journal thinking about what was lost through independence and how the British, while control freaks, had brought civility to this country, and some, like the staff at the Strand, missed it.

Next stop, Pakistan. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SILENCE IS APPROVAL~Jewish Meme

How often do we learn something awful, clam up, and ignore it, hoping it will go away.  It never does, it just gets worse and our silence becomes its enabler.  Life is like that, we don't want to get involved. We have enough to worry about and ignorance, after all, is bliss. Wrong, ignorance is acceptance. The easy analogy is governance. We sit in a management meeting or a board of directors where we become aware of something nefarious and keep silent for fear of being disloyal.  To speak up takes courage and courage has consequences. When a whistleblower comes forward they are vilified, they become the victim of power and power corrupts. We've seen this in Washington for years, management teams being selected for their weakness rather than their strength. Weakness breeds indecision and silence, strength breeds courage. A new administration always starts with a ray of hope that the management team, aka the cabinet, will be outspoken and advise and consent with courage, not sile

AROUND THE WORLD IN 23 YEARS~AZERBAIJAN

Sheki, Azerbaijan  This trip was a study in contrasts, the glamour, and luxury of the capital Baku and its Caspian Sea oil deposits and the third world poverty of its rural countryside and medieval agriculture. I was there to improve the latter, but what I found was surprising. In the end, it's not about oil or vegetables, it's about the human spirit. I took this photo of a 5th generation farmer and his 7th generation grandson after his wife had served us a modest lunch of homegrown vegetables and pork, the meat sliced razor-thin to stretch their budget after entertaining western visitors. I've never had a better meal, before or since.   Forget Baku and their moguls, the real Azeri's live on the farms, that's where I discovered how wonderful life can be, fewer conveniences and more love. This man was the perfect host, he offered us what he had, no shyness, no apologies just knowing that what he had would be more than enough. My life in the developing world changed m

IT MUST BE SUNDAY

" Life is like a river, if you cannot let go of the past, it will drag you down the stream.” ―Amit Ray I've Been Thinking... A few months ago, I was talking to a friend of mine about life when he said to me: “Maria, if you want something new, you are going to have to first get rid of the old. It’s the only way to make room.” Damn, I thought. Ain’t that the truth? One of my big New Year’s resolutions for 2020 was to clear out the old in every area of my life. I had made a promise to myself that this would be the year I would take a hard look at how I was living my life: my beliefs, my attachments, and all my stuff. I started sorting through things from my office, things from my time as First Lady of California, things from my parents, things from my kids (do yourself a favor and do not save all of your kids’ school things like I did), and so many other things that had found their way into storage when life got the best of me. In fact, I was already in the thick of shredding, di